Thursday, August 16, 2007

nihongo



ONE last day of Japanese to go, then I'm done for the summer. Several things learnt:
1. Come all ya polluted East Asian languages! It takes time to fall in love with ya. It's painstaking to eschew all self-hatred and orientalist euphoria. After half a year's struggle, am finally getting friendly with ya, nihongo.
2. 'sho u juu'(hiragana pronunciation of my kanji name). I am given an 'interesting' name. It's miraculous that my beautiful three-character name could ever produce such an acoustic spectacle... (but again, the rupture of the signified and the signifier, or actually layers of different sigifiers) I thought it sounded like some cheap Japanese sake; J thought it's almost like excrement; and my classmates not aware of the pre-existence of sake or pooh, informed me that 'sho u juu' is delicious... Sake, pooh, delicacy.
3. No teacher is worth respecting until s/he respects her/his students. I thank Nakamura Sensei for respecting each and every one of us. You are by far my favourite nihongo sensei. :P
As the nihonjin would have it: ganbalimashou.

No comments: